Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tuesday - two really good days in a row

It is Tuesday night, the end of day 22... what a ride we have had, but today was also a really good day... Toren is working so very hard to make progress. On my arrival each day after a hug and a good morning kiss - he asks The Question - When can we go home to Saratoga... Today we addressed that question with his team... and we have a target date... Sept 29 - Next Wednesday - it is tentative, but everyone is confident that if he keeps making progress at this rate. He will truly be ready to go home and do all the rest of this journey from home. He is so excited.

Today he walked a whole flight of stairs... it was exhausting for him, but he was so determined to do it. He also took on his vestibular exercises with grim focus... and it was better than yesterday. He worked hard at everything... his nap at lunch time was so sound, he slept through lunch - drinking an Ensure to get him through his afternoon therapies.

For added delight today his dear friend Emma came in for a visit... he couldn't stop beaming. He also really enjoyed reconnecting with our friends Lindsey and Terri from our May trip here. It was so good to have all this distraction. He was so ready to sleep and hear the Shema tonight. Tonight he has his room to himself again... so he is very relaxed.

In keeping with that flow of positive progress today I got in touch with a connection from my friend Inbal in Israel and I have an apartment to stay in very close to the hospital for what I believe will be the balance of our stay here in NYU. We are so blessed... in too many ways to count... and today it is gloriously obvious - I can feel it without the energy of seeking the blessings.

I enjoy so much hearing news from friends, even when I don't respond directly.
Thank you for your notes, your wishes, directly and through my mum and other connections. We really do all feel held up. The caring community sent a lovely gift, it lifted our spirits - and Toren didn't even want to share the chocolate - all the more for me!! - My medicine of choice.
Tomorrow I am planning on lunch out with my dear friend Eve... and more time in the evening with Lindsey and Terri... but it will be a busy morning of packing and cleaning this apartment for the next folk. I am off now to buy clothes for another patient whose family is overseas... it is wonderful to be able to do something for someone else.

Have a good night.
With love
Martina

3 comments:

  1. Okay...Chinese Food is getting closer and closer!!! Toren...lets try Steak instead of Chinese :)
    Martina and Helani: You are so very loved!! Can't wait for everyone to be where they are supposed to be..

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOORAY TOREN!!! I cant wait to see all of you and please give Toren my love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAYYYY!! HOORAY HOORAY!!

    ReplyDelete