Thursday, September 16, 2010

Progress & smiles

Good Evening dear ones
It has been such a full 28 hours, it is hard to know where to start - so this is a very quick over view... maybe more later... but I am a little tired in a good way.
Toren moved to Rusk at about 4pm... on Wednesday
Room was small, no rooming in (for me) - a sitter/personal access aide was on board for Toren...
He was anxious to be in a new setting, roommate was not a good match...
Toren was sad I was leaving, and didnt really grasp the whole idea of rehab.
He had a rough night (I actually slept really well... a rarity)
By the time I arrive at 7:45am today (I left after 10:30pm) Toren was very sad and rather shut down... transitions are hard for him.
Toren, felt queasie, sad and frustrated.
During the night, even with an aide he was able to sufficiently mess with his PIC line so that by 4am - the doctor on call had to remove it - this has several ramifications - A) Toren was relieved of an irritant Good - B) He knows he can do that Bad C) There is no easy access for blood draws or emergency medication if he seizes... (Bad) D) We have to make another set of decisions - semi-permanent port - new PIC - nothing - Central Line (hard to know if this is good or bad - but it adds another dimension - hooray!!)
We had lots of therapist evaluations today, meetings with rehab docs, and learning the ropes...
We had a wonderful - absolutely perfect access aide for Toren today... (Thank God)
Melinda visited - wonderful - I now have clean laundry again - Toren has new clothes - we went to MACYS (very big - lots of people - not so good)
I feel more like me... walked on the streets, sat in the garden for lunch... Toren is bright and perky - he WALK UP # STAIRS TODAY AND BACK DOWN - THIS IS AWESOME PROGRESS,,,
He has loved visiting with Melinda, and his access aide...
He got to wear street clothes and crocs.
He is making progress each day - we are blessed, blessed, and blessed again.
The nurse today was incredible and responsive... the therapists and bright and young and pretty - very motivating... they are kind and very thorough...
We are in good - no excellent - hands.
Prayers are answered every day - I happen to like to answers we are getting these days!!!
Thanks for being there - for writing for cards, for emails, for blog comments - you are a pillar of strength - I can feel you holding me up as I hold Toren.
With love
Martina

2 comments:

  1. It's great to read about Toren's progress. You're strength, faith, and gratitude continue to be an inspiration to me. G'mar chatimah tovah, may you (and your loved ones) be sealed for a good year in the Book of Life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Martina and Toren,
    Bob and I will be returning to Oceanside this Sunday. We are frequent visitors to Manhattan. Please let me know what we can do to make things any easier for you and Toren. We can take care of errands or bring whatever food you'd like. Our phone # in Oceanside is 516-766-7371.
    Best wishes for 5771.
    Shalom, Mary Abes

    ReplyDelete