Monday, September 13, 2010

Monday afternoon.... Day 14 - More Progress

Toren is now seizure free for over 48 hours - a big step in the right direction. He is tolerating the very high doses of meds with relative ease... meaning his liver is handling it all. Right now I am watching him and Helaini cuddling/resting in his ICU bed. He is happy to be free of the EEG - and is being very responsive to instructions not to remove the staples in his scars. The staples will come out on Friday... thank God. Today Toren managed to feed himself most of his own lunch -this is wonderful progress. It did require a fair bit of clean up - but honestly so what!! He managed to walk the length of the ward with his Physical Therapists... also amazing progress. He has very limited stamina - but given what his body has been through it is to be expected. Today before lunch - his girls gave him a shave, he looks so fresh, and was thrilled to be able to dress in his own PJs. Before dinner Helaini and I are planning to walk him around the ward again. Either tomorrow or Wednesday we hope he will be stable and strong enough to move to Rehab here at NYU. Almost all his meds are now in pill form. We still have a journey ahead of us, but for now we are able to dwell in this quiet place of appreciation. The hospital staff as a whole has been wonderfully supportive. The apartment from FACES has been an incredibly generous blessing.
Our family is so fortunate to be held in the prayers and hearts of so many. Today and yesterday Toren asked when we would be going home to Saratoga Springs and our dogs. It too is a wonderful sign of recovery.
I look forward to getting home, to sharing Shabbat with friends, to walking the dogs, and to seeing the faces of our own community. May the days between now and Yom Kippur allow you to make whatever peace you need between you and yours. And for any misdeeds, intentional or accidental in this past year... please forgive me.
May you be written in the Book of Life for health and contentment, peace and success in all your endeavors.
And may you remember to pray with sincerity.
With love
Martina

4 comments:

  1. dear martina.
    you take us with you on this amazing experience with grace and strength. i cherish your words and inspiration, truly a lifeline for toren and those around you. i offer you prayers and blessings for healing all the way around. love naomi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so pleased to hear the progress Toren is making. I know he misses home and I am sure you do too, but in time this will all fall together. I look forward to hearing his progress everyday and please when he feels up to it and when he is able I would love to hear his voice.(As well as yours lol) Also tell Toren I miss those puppies too! He will laugh at that. My prayers are with you and I will talk to you again soon. All my love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay so I can feel the Chinese Food coming Toren. Hurry up..You're doing well!!!!! I'm sorry I'm not there to bust on you and I'm sure you really miss that :) Just wanted you to know I love you all. Keep up the good work Toren.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God understands our prayers, even when we can't find the words to say them.

    ReplyDelete