Friday, September 24, 2010

Friday afternoon - almost Shabbat

Today has been another full day of wonderful, hard won progress. Toren's determination is inspiring and his challenges are complex. He has earned the respect of everyone who has worked with him. The staff have been a true blessing... he is well cared for and treated with dignity and kindness, and just enough compassion to soothe.... and enough pushing to encourage him to move forward. Today he took no midday nap, just rested while socializing with Lindsey and Terri before they headed home to Western New York.
Helaini is back here and that is wonderful. I am going to be in Saratoga to teach Sunday school and then head back here, so I doubt I will do much connecting with folk... but then we will be home on Wednesday late in the day. We have been advised to keep Toren's life as structured and simple as possible, he is very fragile and vulnerable, and stimulus is very overwhelming... so we will see how easily he adjusts to home, with his wheelchair and walker to make getting around a possibility.
These last few days have consisted of meetings and trainings for me, planning for getting home. I am so excited as is Toren... he crosses off each day and counts down with a two thumbs up when he gets to the end of it.
It was hard to say goodbye to Lindsey, Terri and their friend Peggy - but Lindsey is planning to visit for a weekend once in a while come October - which is great news!!
Toren is so looking forward to seeing friends and playing with his gang of dogs!
We will figure it all out one day at a time.
We even went to the Succah here last night... and we will again before shabbos so he can wave Lulav.
Shabbat Shalom

2 comments:

  1. Please tell Toren how much I have missed him and I can't wait to get back in a semi-normal? week with him. I know this is going to be quite different, but I care and I am up for a challenge. (Whatever I can do to benefit Toren) I look forward to seeing all of you!!! Please keep me posted on an arrival time. Keep up the good work Toren!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SUCH GOOD NEWS!!!

    I'm a few days behind going through some family stuff of my own. So glad to hear he's close to coming home though. And that you are also doing well!!

    ReplyDelete