Monday, September 6, 2010

Monday morning, bumps in the road

Good morning my friends,
Just before our Indian food arrived, Toren had another clinical seizure, it was mild. The doctors boosted some more phenobarb and increased the anesthesia a little higher (this is the propofol we are trying to wean him off). He had a peaceful night until around 3am and then started to have a couple of mild clinical seizures, raising the Propofol again settled him for several hours and then at about 7am he had another mild seizure. Right now, he is resting quietly. The doctors feel we are making solid progress... with these clinical seizures and only 2 subclinical seizures overnight. Today the plan is to do nothing more - or less and see if he can be stable on these doses. Then start the weaning process again. The good news is that he is withdrawing to pain on the lower doses. This a positive for checking 'normal' brain function. He is moving his right leg a little more... so that too is progress. Helaini will go home tonight. She has classes on Tuesday and Thursdays. She will be back for the weekend. I will miss her. My mother and Marvin will come down and give me some support over the next few days. I am trying to sleep a few hours each day/night in the bed at the apartment - which helps my body. I need to start spending a little bit of time outside each day. But it is hard to leave Toren.

The weather outside is beautiful again, so I am hoping everyone can be enjoying a glorious last weekend of summer.
Helaini stayed with Toren until 4am - I got back here after 5 wonderful hours in a bed... and took up the holding of his hand, and chatting with our beloved boy.
Thanks for the well wishes.
Martina

3 comments:

  1. Martina...Every morning the first thing I do when I wake up is read this. And before I go to bed I check it again. Please take some time for yourself. I know how you are!!!!!! Eat a little and then go back...Walk a little then go back...you need your strength. Okay I am done lecturing you...Now, give Toren a great big hug and kiss for me and tell him I love him...Have a good day and tell Toren to do the same. Start chanting "no more seizures" ... what about subliminal messages????? Love you dearly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loves, I wish so much I could be there and hold your hands. Call when you need to. You know I'll answer no matter the hour. Missing you and my big brother more than ever. Dreamland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missing all of you, keeping up everyday and night! Take care of yourself girls, Toren needs you to do that. Tell him I think about him everyday and I know he will pull through this. I will continue to think positive!!!!

    ReplyDelete