Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Morning After the Surgery

Is it 11:30am... I have finally made it back to the apartment to take a break, and get a little sleep. Helaini and Mummy are with Toren, bless them.
Toren had a rough night... he didnt get to recovery until around midnight. The surgery went well. All the grids, stripe and probes are appropriately in place. The left front temporal resection was also completed successfully. The was some complications upon waking him. He was hard to rouse... very hard, enough that the did an emergency CT scan before bringing him to recovery. He is post seizure... that was the problem. He has what we hope is only temporary loss of mobility in his right leg and hand, he is struggling to speak, but has said, YES, NO, STOP, MOVE and OK - and clearly recognizes his family and reaches for us, and hugs us with his good arm. He is in a lot of pain, which the doctors are trying to manage. He is clearly confused, and exhausted, Thank God however, he is stable... now we wait for more seizures, to get more data about the 2nd focal point. He is still in Neuro ICU and we might move to Epilepsy floor later today, or tomorrow... For added excitement he lost his IV access at about daybreak... and it was impossible to find another vein.... okay they found one, but it only lasted 5 minutes. So then we went down with Alison, Dr. Doyle's very wonderful and capable NP and got a PIC line put in... and then to MRI just to check how things look today.... Now that he has a line in, he can get his medications.....
The left side of his face is swelling slightly....but his color is good and he often reaches for us, to give us a hug to his chest.
Thank you for all your well wishes and prayers... we will keep you posted

5 comments:

  1. Martina,

    I am Lindsey Fraser's aunt, and I met you and Toren when my husband Jim and I visited her in the hospital. I have thought of Toren aften since that day and I am praying his outcome will be as good as Lindsey's. My thoughts are with you and your family as Toren goes through this difficult surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martina,

    I wish I was there to give you a hug. I know just how hard those first few days are. I am thinking of all of you and praying for "the brightest and best."

    Lots of love, Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate you guys doing this so much (the blog) I told Toren a few times I was worried about losing touch with him and not knowing how he was doing. It's nice to see a step by step view of the process he's going through.

    I felt the need to sign up for an account so I would be able to comment from time to time as well.

    Keep up the good work ladies. So glad he has you there to support him.

    ( Oh and btw, I'm Melissa, we worked together at the Rt 50/Ballston Ave Price Chopper and I babysat him at the movies a couple times :P tee hee)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Melissa - he is really lucky to have friends like you:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for doing this blog - Toren and I only recently got back in touch (as I lost his e-mail in my move from NY) and I was really worried that I would not know anything about how the surgeries went and how he is doing. It's wonderful to be able to know what is going on.

    Petra

    ReplyDelete