Friday, September 3, 2010

Friday 4:30pm - News from the OR

Toren went into the OR today deeply sedated and still seizing. The hope was that a short time on anesthesia would break the seizure cycle. After quite a few hours of trying the dedicated team was not able to keep him seizure free. So as I write the wonderful Dr. Doyle is completing the removal of the electrodes, and doing the bone work to close up the openings in the skull.
The experiment gave us more information, however, it was not the information that we had hoped to receive. While Toren had the resection on Tuesday, it was not sufficient to stop seizures, and the remaining seizures are defuse scattered around the whole left side of the brain. Far too many important valuable areas of the brain to allow for further resection to be considered.
What does this mean... well it is early days yet.
First we get him stable and recovered from these challenging days... we take stock, we change the medicinal cocktail.
We are so disappointed, and sad... and yet we remind ourselves... that a change has happened in the brain, and Toren has a brain that is highly reactive to change... it is dramatically reorganized differently than the 'standard' brain... maybe with time, another reorganization will take place and Toren will heal with the same miraculous gift that has graced our lives until this point.
Toren has gone through so very much, and the loving supportive community around us has held us up.
Thank you for all you have given us.
Shabbat Shalom
with love
Martina & Helaini

2 comments:

  1. Please stay positive, your writing has helped me out so much. I would greatly appreciate you giving Toren some love from me. I miss him dearly and I am thinking of you all and keeping up on every blog. I am here if anything at all is needed and i will keep him in my thoughts and pray for him. All my love, Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry things did not go as hoped. I wish him a healthy recovery. Please stay strong for yourselves and for Toren, I know you will. Love Tara

    ReplyDelete