Friday, October 8, 2010

Home 9 days - still blissful

Well first I guess I need to apologize for the gap in writing - it has just been so very busy, and while Toren did not have a particularly bumpy landing coming come... it was tough for me to navigate. I am finally not exhausted. Toren has had OT, Speech and PT a number of times each this week. He has had dinner at Cynthia and Tara's homes, gone grocery shopping with me and his sister on different occasions - the walker makes that possible and safe. He even went on a couple of drives... and sat out last Shabbos in the sun on our deck playing games with his dear friend Emma. Kristen is with us 4 days a week, Helaini comes for the weekend and does another overnight on Wednesday. We are finding our feet. Toren is in remarkably good spirits and works hard at all his therapies, he has started to do his own dishes again YES!!
He helped Helaini cook dinner the other night... all this little steps add up to more freedom and comfort for us both.
Last night we tried something new - Toren slept in his room alone - it was perfect - he made it through the night and felt so happy to wake up quietly on his own terms. He even managed to be showered, dressed and eating breakfast by 9:15am - after having pushed to do his toughest vestibular exercises yesterday night before bed.
We laugh a lot, sometimes over the faux pas that his speech challenges offer us as light hearted relief. Every single day we are overwhelmed with the blessings of community and friendship and family, whether it is sitting, talking in through with a dear friend over coffee... or e-mails, or my yoga students welcoming me home. It was so good to get back to teaching, to practicing, I am looking forward to Shul services so very much tomorrow morning.
Today and yesterday the weather has been glorious and I have taken several long walks with Winston in the windy warmth of autumn sunshine.
We finally have approval to do the work on the house, and so that is the next exciting project to manage along with Toren's continued recovery.
Marvin has managed to fill in for me to help with dog walking, and freeing me up to run errands. The occasional meal prepared by friends has helped me feel supported and cared for. All in all, life is much better coming into this Shabbos than last. We are blessed and are all better people for this journey... and that makes getting up in the morning more manageable.
Right now Toren is out buying a few bits he needs with Kristen, then he has OT and is necessary post OT nap, to be followed by the treat de jour - a visit from Jack. These visits from friends and family brighten up his days and really leave him feeling loved and cared for and connected to the larger world, and our community.
Tonight we will gather at my mother's for Shabbos dinner - a change of scenery is always a good plan.
I wish each of you a weekend of joyful renewal, and sunshine.
With love and appreciation for the place you have made in your hearts and lives for me and mine.
Shabbat shalom
Martina


1 comment:

  1. I WAS SO SUPER EXCITED HE TEXTED ME BACK LAST NIGHT! I said hi hoping he would get it eventually was so great to hear from him!

    I love the uplifting nature of your words <3 Thank you.

    ReplyDelete