Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Finally

Well after 13 days and lots of weaning and waiting, Toren finally had a grand mal seizure this afternoon. The staff were amazing calm, and efficient - managing to get Adivan on board within 3 minutes of the seizure starting, Toren is resting restlessly and quite out of it... but he could squeeze my hand on command and said Mummy when I asked who I was... it took time, but that is fine. Now we wait to see if the Adivan is enough to prevent another seizure, and the doctors observe what is recorded on the video and the EEG and then we can start to make educated choices as to a plan of treatment.

I am so grateful to be here, to have been with him, to hold his hand, to rub his back, to whisper words as he goes through the cruel punishment of a seizure attacking his mind and body. Given our reality, there is no place I would rather be. Early this afternoon Toren had a great visit with David Hodgson, lots of laughter and chatting. He was working on translating hebrew when the seizure hit... having fun searching the on line dictionaries. Terri Fraser, a new friend whose daughter was sharing this side of the room with Toren until yesterday, came right over from her side of the hospital and hung with us for a while. All along this journey we have been blessed. Even in that Toren had his seizure while resting in bed rather than all those trips to the loo... he has truly attentive guardian angels... and all those prayers from all of you... thank you. I will be staying here at the hospital tonight, and holding his hand, counting my many blessings, wise, careful doctors, loving friends and family, strength of spirit, dedicated and talented nurses.
Toren even held off seizing until I got to see a broadway show... that's what you call honoring your mother... of course if I had known I would have gone last week. Thank you for your prayers and loving thoughts.
M






No comments:

Post a Comment